[CS-FSLUG] NI: YOU CAN HELP PROTECT RELIGIOUS TELEVISION

Michael Bradley, Jr. michaelsbradleyjr at mac.com
Fri Oct 21 17:50:04 CDT 2005

On Oct 21, 2005, at 5:57 PM, DC Parris wrote:

> On Fri, October 21, 2005 5:41 pm, David Aikema wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> For the most part, anyways, TVs are probably better left off.
>>
>> David

> I know you and I don't always see eye to eye, but this is one time
> I can
> definitely agree with you!  I have little use for a TV, especially
> when
> there's an internet to be surfed! ;-)  Actually, I just don't have
> much
> time for TV.  I spend most of my time working on libre software
> stuff (on
> the computer or at meetings, etc.), or doing a little stuff in the
> yard.
> I do like to watch college football on Saturdays.  Otherwise,
> what's a TV?

I have to agree; I pretty much gave up on television back in early
2001. I watch less than one hour of regular TV per week. Of course,
time spent working, reading, researching, and playing on the
Internet, in addition to time spent in printed books, has filled that
gap.

One exception to my personal no-TV attitude is EWTN:

          English, Spanish, television and radio (and Net)

It's not carried by the local cable company and the radio signal
isn't re-broadcast locally on AM/FM (it is in some areas) , and I
don't have satellite, so when I do watch/listen to it (approx. 1 to 2
hourse per week for TV content; the radio feed plays in the
background in my house quite often), I do so via streaming audio/
video over the Net. By the way, EWTN radio is broadcast on global
shortwave, but I've never had great reception where I live.

The on-line schedules are helpful for picking out particular programs:

          TV Schedules

          http://www.ewtn.com/tv/schedule_index.htm

          Radio Schedules

          http://www.ewtn.com/radio/schedule.htm

It is interesting, after not watching regular television on any
regular basis for the past few years, I find that I have little
patience for all of the sexually-overloaded and violent programs and
commercials (commercials are the worst for that in my observation),
not to mention the fact that 99% of the content seems deserving of no
higher a rating than "general crapola."

In Christ,

Michael Bradley, Jr.

--