[CS-FSLUG] Another SUSE complaint

Nathan T. celerate at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 18:16:06 CDT 2005

On 10/17/05, Schalk Engelbrecht <schalk.engelbrecht at gmail.com> wrote:

[snip]

I tried Suse at first because it was user friendly - there was a lot of
> eye candy but no real "meat on the bones". I struggled to get
> multimedia support going. I also discovered that using linux you must
> be willing to "explore" and "learn" a little more than what is normally
> required from an MS operating system.

Multimedia support is my only difficuly with 10.0, if it weren't for that I
would have stuck with it. I've only used SUSE 10.0 for a limited time, but
based on that experience I would give it an 8.5 out of 10 with a higher mark
due to it if I hadn't had so much trouble trying to get mp3 support restored
to KDE.

It was then that I discovered Ubuntu. Yes it runs gnome by default -
> but I installed the Kubuntu (KDE) desktop and it runs sweet. A couple
> of apt-get's later I had mp3 support, libdvdcss, and all the rest on my
> IBM T42. Almost everything worked "out of the box".

The last time I tried anything ubuntu was quite a while ago, after this
latest failure with SUSE I decided to sneak back into Ark again where I used
to be a volunteer not to long ago.

The question is are you willing to pay for the software/OS or are you
> truly supporting free and open source software. I you are willing to
> pay - by all means buy Suse, but if you are like me - you support those
> developers that really to the stuff because they like to, not because
> they have to!!

I don't have enough money to pay to support OSS, I can only contribute with
volunteer work when I have the time. If I buy something it has to be because
I need it or because it will be worth having.
[snip]

As far as the whole SUSE conflict went, that was unfortunate. SUSE is
comming along well and I'm looking forward to when Novell decides to put
together a nice multimedia package should that happen in the near future. I
doubt very much that Novell wouldn't be able to license and include a good
collection of codecs, if they would also refrain from removing parts of KDE
and substituting them with awful third party packages then I don't see why
the distribution coudln't become as common on home desktops and workstations
as Windows. SUSE is a good distribution in my opinion, and it's the only one
I know of with YaST which is what blows away the competition, but Novell has
yet to show that they care about multimedia support.