[CS-FSLUG] NI: Why Linux isn't too fat & MS hurts customers

David Aikema daikema at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 11:47:31 CDT 2005

On 10/17/05, Eduardo Sanchez <lists at sombragris.org> wrote:
> David: Again, you're wrong. David, have you really seen Windows apps
> lately? Such as, MSN Messenger? Easy CD Creator? Pc Doctor? have you
> seen the horrible skinned, atypical, inconsistent interface they sport?
> And I'm citing some apps from memory, from 3 or more years ago... and
> now the situation seems to be worse.
>
> Consistency is an attribute of MacOS X, GNOME, and KDE, and undoubtedly
> of other desktop environments; but I would never grant that with
> Windows.

Indeed, GNOME and KDE have a fair bit of internal consistency, but
unlike in Windows, I think that a lot of users of the first two tend
to mix and match these applications (and those based on different GUI
packages) a lot more.  For example, of the 5 applications that I have
quick-start buttons for on my KDE panel, only two of these (Konqueror
& KDE) have any consistency in interface.

Windows definitely has applications out there with some rather odd
interfaces, but I've found that they're in the minority (I think that
it's a problem that is getting worse though).  I also find that
Windows applications tend to avoid the problem of the different in
terms of files that I can access - the different protocol support -
that commonly differentiates KDE apps from GNOME apps from other apps.

David