[CS-FSLUG] NI: Why Linux isn't too fat & MS hurts customers

Eduardo Sanchez lists at sombragris.org
Sat Oct 15 18:18:23 CDT 2005

On Saturday 15 October 2005 20:10, David Aikema wrote:
> On 10/15/05, Eduardo Sanchez <lists at sombragris.org> wrote:
> > OTOH, if you use KDE, you'll get consistency. Why use Mozilla, when
> > you have Konqueror?
>
> It's because my (subjective) impression is that Mozilla Firefox is
> still a better browser than Konqueror - hence I use Konqueror as file
> manager and Firefox as web browser.

David, I of course respect that subjective impression. However, I
encourage you to try using KDE with the KDE apps... you'll get the same
file and print dialogs, and the same shortcuts, too.

BTW, Konqueror in KDE 3.5 beta (soon to be released) passes the Acid2
test...

> Wherein Windows you have all group[s basically working with the save
> set of widgets and dialog  boxes, in Linux there are a number of
> different such conventions.

This is simply not true. Corel Draw's file dialogs are not equal to Ms
Word's are not equal to Notepad are not equal to Explorer....

> I don't think that any one widget set /
> GUI library has a monopoly on the "best" applications.  Why use
> something "good" when you can use something "better" or "best"?
>
> David

Ditto... Use KDE :)

--
Prof. Eduardo Sanchez