[CS-FSLUG] Another SUSE complaint

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 21:56:39 CDT 2005

On 10/15/05, Nathan T. <celerate at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/15/05, .mash <re.mash at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Nathan
> >
> > Can I ask why you don't want to just add third party apps/codecs to
> > the free downloaded edition. I have never used SuSe but I am sure it can
> > only take a couple of minutes. If you want to save money then just add
> > what you need to the free edition.
>
>  I would if it were easier, it's day 2 and I'm still trying to fix the
> crippled multimedia support.

Hmmmm... Should I assume that by "crippled" you mean "compared to
Windows"?  It seems like you're expecting libre software to support
something you want out of the box, but cannot, due to license issues.
Whose fault is that?  It certainly is not the libre community's fault.
 The question is, how do you respond?  You might throw in the towel
with the weak.  Or you might say, "I can endure a little pain now, so
it will be easier in the future".

It's easy to blame the software when the law is what's messed up.
Please understand where the real problem lies, and learn how to solve
the problem.  If you want it to work out of the box, get involved in
some kind of activity that helps to solve it.  Rosa Parks won the
right to ride at the front of the bus because she was willing to
endure a little aggravation and pain to get that right.  You - and the
rest of us - will need to be willing to 'suffer' a bit (probably not
nearly as painful as the brutal beatings at Pettis Bridge in Alabama)
to get rights/freedoms we know should be in place naturally.  I know
the Pettis Bridge incident doesn't compare to getting multimedia to
work - that's my point.  What seems frustrating to you is a little
thing, in the big picture.

Perhaps you should get involved in the movement to oppose DRM and
other affronts to freedom.  The Electronic Frontier Foundation is only
one such group.  You might find a free culture
(http://www.freeculture.org/) student group near you.  Perhaps in the
meantime you can make some acquaintances and forge some realtionships
with folks who are also willing to endure a little pain now.  You
might even inspire some others.

Blessings,
Don
--