[CS-FSLUG] Net-bios/file-sharing "attack"

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Wed Oct 12 14:31:51 CDT 2005

On Wednesday 12 October 2005 10:06 am, Ed Hurst wrote:
> Tim Young wrote:
> > Hi Ed,
> > There are a number of things you can do to get rid of those. One, of
> > course, is to install a personal firewall on the xp box and block all
> > outgoing port 137 and 138 traffic. ;) Of course, you will live with the
> > consequences.
>
> Yes, there are consequences in each path. After reviewing various Google
> searches on the topic, I have concluded it has more to do with stupid
> settings required to run SBC's DSL service on Windows. They require some
> risky services running, and things quickly fail to work with the
> slightest adjustments. If I knew more about Samba (and cared more about
> learning it) I'd use my machine as the gateway. However, I believe I
> would lose the opportunity to provide an important teaching opportunity.
> I'm not going to oppress my dear sweetheart, but I want her to have to
> live with some consequences for staying with Windows. To some degree,
> it's similar to how I'd react if she had a more serious "addiction"
> problem. I keep dangling SUSE 9.3 in front of her....

There comes a point in time when you really don't have much of a choice, and
have to tell her that if she wants to be online, then she'll have to give up
the evil thing she's hung onto for so long. I'm finally getting through to
some clergy as to the VERY EVIL nature of M$ of most of it's top management.

Fred

--
Paid purchaser of ALL SuSE Linux releases since 7.x