[CS-FSLUG] Net-bios/file-sharing "attack"

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Wed Oct 12 09:06:32 CDT 2005

Tim Young wrote:
> Hi Ed,
> There are a number of things you can do to get rid of those. One, of
> course, is to install a personal firewall on the xp box and block all
> outgoing port 137 and 138 traffic. ;) Of course, you will live with the
> consequences.

Yes, there are consequences in each path. After reviewing various Google
searches on the topic, I have concluded it has more to do with stupid
settings required to run SBC's DSL service on Windows. They require some
risky services running, and things quickly fail to work with the
slightest adjustments. If I knew more about Samba (and cared more about
learning it) I'd use my machine as the gateway. However, I believe I
would lose the opportunity to provide an important teaching opportunity.
I'm not going to oppress my dear sweetheart, but I want her to have to
live with some consequences for staying with Windows. To some degree,
it's similar to how I'd react if she had a more serious "addiction"
problem. I keep dangling SUSE 9.3 in front of her....

--
Ed Hurst