[CS-FSLUG] Commercial/Professional Linux Gurus?

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 12:35:19 CDT 2005

On 10/10/05, dmc <edoc7 at verizon.net> wrote:
> Don Parris wrote:
> > Are there any commercial/professional IT vendors on the list that work
> > with churches?  Perhaps you run a computer shop or consulting
> > business, and you support churches, either as part of your customer
> > core, or on the side?  I ask because, in the absence of a
> > knowledgeable individual or local LUG, it would be good to help
> > churches find someone locally who can support them, should they have a
> > desire to migrate to a libre software platform.

<SNIP>

> I would suggest multiple tiers:
>
> 1.  Someone who is willing to make free information and download
> resources available to a church representative and to explain why
> Linux is better stewardship than MS Windows.  This may include
> providing a iso LiveCD to said representative (of a distro with
> which that person is comfortable).  Church implementation would
> be left up to the church representative and his/her church
> heirarchy.
>
> 2.  Someone who is willing, as a volunteer, to acquaint the
> IT Committee at a church (Pastor/Elder-Deacon Board/IT Committee)
> with more sophisticated Linux-based church management tools
> and to make themself available for limited Q&A but to not
> serve as a member of the IT committee or to provide significant
> levels of time-consuming support.
>
> 3.  Same as #2 but willing to commit somewhat time-consuming
> energies to walking the church through design and implementation.
>
> 4.  Same as #3 but for a fee.
>

> --

Hey thanks, David!  We have a similar approach in mind.  First try to
find volunteers to help the local church.  If that ain't workin', we
look for a local LUG.  If there is no LUG, we find a commercial
partner.  Your idea could be useful for fleshing out our basic
concept.

I am making significant headway locally, although it's a slow process.
 The interest is there, and I hope that, once I break the news of what
I've been up to lately, we'll be able to "rally" the troops, so to
speak.  I have a huge opportunity coming up on the 22nd, so keep me in
your prayers.

Don
--
DC Parris GNU Evangelist