[CS-FSLUG] Re: Bob Parks' Blog on Bennett Comments (Ignore)

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 00:11:30 CDT 2005

On 10/9/05, dmc <edoc7 at verizon.net> wrote:
> >> I still consider Bennett's remarks stupid.
> > And ignorant.
>

> He was careless to not phrase his words in such a
> way that the media could not misquote him as having
> originated or agreed with the statement -- but his
> intent was clearly not "stupid" nor "ignorant" nor
> "racist".
>
> Please, before slandering the man!  Read what he
> actually said!  I did and despite the fact that I
> am not one of his biggest fans I had to defend him
> and did so on my Blog.
>
> He quoted the stupid statement of *others* then
> declared their statement evil.  What more must one
> do to make it clear that one disagrees?

Yes, I did read his words.  Bennett erroneously quoted a book.  The
book discussed aborting low-income babies - not blacks.  It was
Bennett who injected blacks into the picture.  Unless, of course, the
answer to my second question (in my other post) is "yes", in which
case Bennett was correctly quoting the book's intent.  Following that
line of thought...  I don't believe that to be the case, either.
Still, it's problematic that he chose to replace "low-income" with
"black".

> As I wrote, a whole lot of people owe Bill Bennett
> an apology.

It is possible he simply mis-quoted the book with an unfortunate
replacement for the term "low-income".  Or maybe he was equating, as
do many, "low-income" with "black".  Which makes the former a
euphimism for the latter.  I am not suggesting that he is an advocate
of aborting black babies.  I'm sure we're all aware that white women
make up the majority of welfare recipients.  Going by his remarks, we
could solve our welfare problem by executing white women - or at least
aborting their babies.  Even if it were immoral and impossible, it
would solve the welfare problem, right?  And it's o.k. for me to
suggest that?  I don't think so.

Don
--
DC Parris GNU Evangelist