[CS-FSLUG] Re: [Linux4christians] Reference

dmc edoc7 at verizon.net
Fri Oct 7 18:34:42 CDT 2005

>> Hello everybody. I just came across a Biblical reference site that's
>> set up like Wikipedia. It's called Theopedia, located here:
>> http://www.theopedia.com/Main_Page

The whole idea of an "open encyclopedia" of "everything
Christian", absent clear boundaries and active moderation,
sounds like a recipe for cultic and heretical disaster!

The text (below) found at a link from the heading "What is
a Biblical Christian?" is encouraging.

One wonders how many others will be posted alongside his,
implying parity of Biblical accuracy, promoting various shades
of Jesus-plus-something, or Jesus-is-cool-but-if-I-live-a-good-life,
or ???

Are you a Christian? We ought not to make the assumption lightly that we
are true Christians. Many claim to be Christians but what does the Bible
tell us a Christian really is?*

* A Christian is one who has seriously and honestly faced the personal
problem of sin; the problem of a bad record and a bad heart.

* A Christian is one who has also seriously considered the divine remedy
for sin. The remedy bound up in a unique person and centered in his
unique sacrifice on a cross that is adequate for and offered to all.

* A Christian is one who whole-heartedly embraces the terms of God’s
provision for sin through repentance and faith in Jesus Christ alone.

Given the nature of the Internet one may reasonably wonder as
to the degree of the bad theology promulgated by such a site
rather than any "if".

The aggressiveness of those promoting denominations, pet
local theologies, and all manner of neo-christian cults
can be breathtaking!

I will see about posting some materials but believe I will
add my own disclaimer to each "Please do not consider my
participation as an endorsement of anything else published
in this Wiki -- you must be a "good Berean" and check it
all against the Word of God, and if in the slightest doubt
with a responsible Christian deacon, or elder, or pastor."

Or something like that!  ;-)

I don't know if this is a good idea or not.  Perhaps it
will bring to a central point various perspectives, many
equally valid and unknown-for-certain theories until Heaven,
others neat cultures and traditions worth discovering, but
will those that are plainly wrong be challenged or left
to stand as equal to genuine truth-statements about
Biblical Christianity?

Is Biblical Christianity really "open source" or has God
sovereignly appointed to authority in leadership those
whom He trusts to "rightly divide the Word"?

Just wondering .... and worrying ...

David

--
Respectfully,