[CS-FSLUG] [TD] Churches in UK no longer swears by truth of the Bible

Chris Brault gginorio at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 6 03:49:10 CDT 2005

Church no longer swears by truth of the Bible
(note: This is only in the UK)

THE hierarchy of the Roman Catholic Church has published a teaching
document instructing the faithful that some parts of the Bible are not
actually true.

The Catholic bishops of England, Wales and Scotland are warning their
five million worshippers, as well as any others drawn to the study of
scripture, that they should not expect “total accuracy” from the Bible.

“We should not expect to find in Scripture full scientific accuracy or
complete historical precision,” they say in The Gift of Scripture.

The document is timely, coming as it does amid the rise of the religious
Right, in particular in the US.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0%2C%2C13509-1811332%2C00.html

Personally, after reading the "debate" on the site, it seems a shame
that the UK Catholic Church is rejecting the Creation Account of
Genesis. The reasons cited by the article are not only weak, but even I
could refute them ... and that's sad. I believe that undermining the
Creation Story is really undermining the origin of our need for a Saviour.

Gabe