[CS-FSLUG] NI (TD): Russian Orthodox bishop appeals for Catholic-Orthodox alliance

Chris Brault gginorio at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 6 01:36:00 CDT 2005

I was trying to respond to another thread,

> I am not sure of the purpose of your post. If it was meant as a
> request for me to take note of and reply specifically to Nigel's
> question, please know that I was preparing a response when Tim's
> message showed up on the list asking us all to leave the issues alone
> for awhile.

But when I saw the e-mail I had opened was the wrong one I attempted to
select the contact button in Thunderbird so I could simply reply to
another thread using the already open window. However, I accidently hit
the "send" button which is right next to the "contact" button. It was my
mistake.

> If you would like me to respond to you privately (same goes for
> Nigel), please drop me a note and I will be happy to do so. You could
> also start a thread in the "Apologetics" or "Non-Catholic Religions"
> forums on forums.catholic.com and (invite me by e-mail to stop by)
> where you would be sure to receive a variety of insights from
> Catholic, non-Catholics and non-Christians.

Christian/Catholic apologetics isn't my forte. I more of a Creation
Science (http://www.answersingenesis.org) kinda guy. Living in San
Antonio and working in a Pentacostal ministry there (the pastor is from
Sweden no less) gave me strong opinions about certain issues and
especially about compromise.

> Finally, I received a few private e-mails from members of this list
> indicating that they found the document "Dominus Iesus" to provide
> helpful answers to Nigel's and related questions. You might find it
> helpful too, if you haven't yet read it.

Thank you. This is a great resource.

> On the other hand, if your post was meant to imply that my Church's
> teaching, as referenced by Nigel, is just as offensive as I claimed
> your post to be, please note that I was referring to the manner of
> your statements as opposed to their underlying content. I don't agree
> with the "T" in Calvin's TULIP, for example, but I would/do refrain
> from labeling it as a "blasphemous distortion" or using some other
> derogatory label in reference to the teachings or practices of the
> Reformed churches and their members.

Well, many of us have been in the thick of Catholic country and had to
fight for the souls of men. There is a common problem in churches these
days. People think that they're saved apart from a true decision to
follow Jesus. Emotional experiences, divine revelation and even rituals
have replaced the age old, tried a true formula:
"...if you will confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in
your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved."

Now, I've seen miracles. I've seen healing. I've also seen pentacostal
pastors fleece their flock and charasmatic leaders "groupthink" whole
crowds.

But when you stand back and look at it all, you see one thing. God is
working everything together to bring people to a saving faith in His
Son, Jesus Christ. Bad thing, good things, the everyday and behind the
scenes, God is at work on His purpose.

Anyway, pardon my manner. I get emotional about certain issues.

> Anyway, I think it is best for now to allow this discussion within
> this 'forum' to rest.

Indeed, perhaps this isn't the right forum for these discussions.