[CS-FSLUG] NI: Catholic Church no longer swears by truth of the Bible

Michael Bradley, Jr. michaelsbradleyjr at mac.com
Wed Oct 5 16:30:38 CDT 2005

                                                             JMJ + OBT

One thing to keep in mind is that it was a local council of bishops
in Great Britain + Ireland that authored and published this document.

I haven't read it and so can't really offer my personal take on it;
but suffice it so say that a local council, from the larger
perspective of the Catholic Church, does not enjoy the same
protection from error which it is believed that the Holy Spirit gives
to the official, "voted on" declarations of an ecumenical council.

To the extent that this new document repeats, upholds and explains
the historical orthodox teaching of the Church regarding Sacred
Scripture, it is a valuable expression of it in this new millennium.
To the extent that it deviates from or contradicts that teaching,
then it is scandalous and gravely unfortunate.

It is a difficult pill for me and many of my Catholic brothers and
sisters to swallow, but the plain truth is that Scripture scholarship
in the (Western) Catholic Church in the last 50 years has drifted as
a whole towards the extremely "liberal" end of the spectrum.

On the one hand, modern textual and historical critical methods can
be valuable tools for studying God's Word -- Pope Benedict XVI, as
Cardinal Ratzinger, was very open to and instrumental in furthering
the integration of these methods into the work of the Pontifical
Biblical Commission. At the same time, Cardinal Ratzinger and many
other conservative Catholic thinkers/leaders have for many years
openly criticized the departure by many scholars from the guidance of
Patristic thought and the traditional Catholic belief in the complete
inerrancy of the Holy Bible, which for 2000 years have served as the
contexts in which Catholics interpreted the Scriptures.

The "modern tools" of Scripture scholars do not in themselves lead to
heresy. It's how they are applied, in what context they are applied,
and the underlying assumptions which the scholars have implicitly or
explicitly adopted that lead to various problematic interpretations
or analyses. For example, if a scholar has rejected the existence of
the supernatural (sounds crazy that a Christian scholar would do
that; but there are many such cases), then he/she will look at,
interpret, and analyze miracles and other supernatural phenomenon as
recorded in the Scriptures in a manner that is foreign to the great
tradition of the Church.

Some of the worst, wackiest and heterodox currents of thought have
alarmingly been the "meat and potatoes" of Scripture courses taken by
Catholic seminarians in the past few decades! THANK GOD, things are
beginning to turn around, and many young seminarians in the past five
years have actually begun to combat the errors of their professors,
in class even! [The Internet has helped to bring that about.]

Here are links to a few of _my_ favorite "tools" for combatting
heterodox Scripture scholarship:

          Free From All Error: Authorship, Inerrancy, Historicity of
Scripture,
          Church Teaching, and Modern Scripture Scholars (Fr. Most)

          http://www.catholicculture.org/docs/most/getwork.cfm?
worknum=216

          A Catholic Guide to Biblical Interpretation: Exploring the
Many Worlds of
          Scripture with Faith, Reason and Praxis

          http://www.kenrickparish.com/gresham/cbi/

          Crisis in Scripture Studies (Fr. Most)

          http://www.catholicculture.org/docs/most/getwork.cfm?
worknum=53

          Answers to Modern Critics (Fr. Most)

          http://www.catholicculture.org/docs/most/getwork.cfm?
worknum=212

          [many of the late Fr. William Most's works are valuable in
this "fight"]

          The MOST Theological Collection

          http://www.catholicculture.org/docs/most/browse.cfm

          The Gospels are Historical

          http://www.church-in-history.org/pages/intro-sum/gospels-
hist.htm

          The Neo-Patristic Approach to Sacred Scripture

          http://www.rtforum.org/study/index.html

          Intellectual Poison:  How Thomas Hobbes Ruined Biblical
Studies

          http://www.crisismagazine.com/november2004/wiker.htm

          Historical-Critical Scripture Studies and the Catholic Faith

          http://www.catholicculture.org/docs/doc_view.cfm?recnum=1181

          The Use of Scripture in The Catechism Of The Catholic
Church (awesome!)

          http://www.ewtn.com/library/CATECHSM/USEOFSCR.HTM

          Catholic Biblical Studies: The Golden Legend

          http://www.culturewars.com/CultureWars/1999/rewriting.htm

          Of course, it would be a mistake to leave out . . .

          Pope Pius XII's encyclical letter, "Divino Afflante Spiritu"

          http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/pius_xii/encyclicals/
documents/hf_p-xii_enc_30091943_divino-afflante-spiritu_en.html

          and "Dei Verbum," the Second Vatican Council's "Dogmatic
Constitution On Divine Revelation"

          http://www.vatican.va/archive/hist_councils/
ii_vatican_council/documents/vat-ii_const_19651118_dei-verbum_en.html

I have every hope that Pope Benedict XVI is going to help lead a
reform of Catholic Biblical scholarship, though I doubt he'll
formally denounce many "heretics." Let us make sure to pray for
him . . .

In the Hearts of Jesus and Mary,

Michael Bradley, Jr.

--
[Jesus said] Tell aching mankind to snuggle close
to My merciful Heart, and I will fill it with peace.

My home on the Net ::
    http://homepage.mac.com/michaelsbradleyjr/

IC XC NIKA