[CS-FSLUG] Christian ethics regarding reverse engineering of non-free software

Don Parris evangelinux at matheteuo.org
Wed Oct 5 11:56:27 CDT 2005

Michael Bradley, Jr. wrote:
> Many thanks, Christopher.
>
> In Christ,
>
> Michael Bradley, Jr.
>

> On Oct 5, 2005, at 3:25 AM, Christopher Rose wrote:
>
>> Michael,
>>
>> I have never heard of anything like unto what you are asking. This
>> does not mean that such does not exist, just that I am aware of it.
>> Truthfully, I do not think it would be wise to reverse engineer
>> something in a screen by screen fashion so that it looks and act
>> exactly like the proprietary item. Rather, I would argue that you
>> should just try to create something that acts in a similiar manner
>> but give it a somewhat different design so that you can not be
>> accused of theft. That is what I feel that reverse-engineering
>> software is when you do not have proper permission to do so. I am
>> still waiting for word from Delphi for an application (a game) that  I
>> would like to reverse engineer for Linux. However, I feel I need  to
>> ask for permission due to the fact that it would be almost  pointless
>> to not make it as similiar as possible to the original.  If I am not
>> granted permission, then I will simply scrub the  project. For me it
>> is that simply. For as it is written in Exodus  20:15 "Thou shalt not
>> steal."
>>
>> Pax,
>> Christopher L. Rose

While I view copyright infringement as being very different from "theft", I
do agree that reverse engineering a program could be problematic.  Ideas can
only be copied or mimiced, not stolen.  Still, you would do well to develop
something that offers similar appearance & functionality without copying the
design outright, unless you can obtain permission from the author/vendor.

Blessings,
Don