[CS-FSLUG] NI (TD): Russian Orthodox bishop appeals for Catholic-Orthodox alliance

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Wed Oct 5 09:31:53 CDT 2005

On Tuesday 04 October 2005 10:21 pm, Timothy Butler wrote:
> > No, I think you may be missing the point. The hope is to foster
> > unity according to the express prayer or Our Lord the night before
> > He gave His life for us, "that they may all be one . . ." (John 17:21)
>
>      Very true. I suspect it will be a long road before the Western
> Church can reunite (if ever, given the structural differences between
> most Protestant groups and the RCC), but in lieu of that, I must say
> I enjoy vicariously the attempts at bringing together the Eastern and
> Western/Catholic churches. Given the the vacuum you rightly note, I
> cannot think of anything better.

There are several issues that MUST change at the Vatican, such as priests
being allowed to marry. It's NOT a Biblical dictate and never should have
been an edict from the Vatican.

>      Of course, some Protestant groups can probably work within this
> context too, if we work out an ecumenical understanding --
> particularly the Anglican Communion, the Lutheran Churches and
> perhaps the liturgical parts of some other churches (such as the
> Presbyterian Church).

It's possible, for sure. The Anglican Communion, however, is going to remove
the Episcopal churches in the US because of their liberal practices. Those
who hold to Biblical principles are working to establish a relationship with
the Anglican Church.......thankfully. I suspect it will be a very long drawn
out process.

>      The first step, of course, is to stop what you note concerning
> "sheep stealing." We can only garner inter-denominational trust if we
> quit the infighting.

Very true! Those in some countries, like India and Pakistan have learned that
they are ALL in the same "boat," no matter what denomination. The Hindus have
been beating and killing Protestants and Catholics alike. Many in these
countries have learned to work together.......and they should.

Fred

to you, at this time.