[CS-FSLUG] NI: Russian Orthodox bishop appeals for Catholic-Orthodox alliance

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Tue Oct 4 15:09:43 CDT 2005

On Tuesday 04 October 2005 7:06 am, dmc wrote:

[snip]

> Given the history of Roman Catholic and Orthodox abuse of government
> power to violently repress other denominations, and recent history of
> the Orthodox church doing (or attempting) precisely that in Russia and
> other former Soviet client States, this is not necessarily good news.

Considering what I know of what happened in the Soviet States, I have to take
exception with this as it relates to Orthodoxy. I happen to KNOW that there
was a great deal of protection given to other Christians during that time.
I'm sure not everyone who carried the "Russian Orthodox" title was guiltless,
and in fact I know that there were some who weren't. Man is temptable and
totalitarian gov'ts are VERY good at it.

>  > ... "alliance to negotiate with European institutions and members
>  > of other faiths on behalf of "traditional Christianity."
>
> Sounds like code words for re-establishing the unholy church-state
> alliance wherein which legalist tradtionalism is forced upon all.

NOT at all.

> This is not to suggest that most in Orthodox and Roman Catholic
> churches have such imperialistic desires, just to remind folks
> that there has been a historic abuse among a certain subset at
> high levels of leadership.

In the Catholic church, yes......in the past. I'm not so sure it would be the
same today.

> The non-Biblical Crusades are just one result of unaccountable
> leadership confused by the unholy mixture of church and state,
> a mixture that always results in bad consequences for Biblical
> Christianity.

There's much about the Crusades you obviously don't know. There's much that
was done in the name of our Lord that was wrong, but there's a great deal
that WAS correct. The biggest cause WAS Islam. The MOST ruthless were
Muslims.

Fred

to you, at this time.