[CS-FSLUG] Network printer sharing with Windows

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Mon Oct 3 16:08:18 CDT 2005

The main issues are:

1) The printer needs to be in the printcap (so Linux knows of it)
2) Samba needs to be enabled
3) Samba needs to know to look at the printcap
4) You need correct access to the printer.  If the windows boxes can see
anything on the Linux box, the correct permissions are there already.
5) The printer needs to be browsable (a samba config option)

Note:  You need to restart samba, or at least give it a HUP, when you
tell it to do something with the printers.

Note2:   The simplest method for determining if your printers are
visible to the network via samba, is through smbclient.
# smbclient -L [LinuxServerName]
This will list all the available shares.  If the printer does not show
up, try:
# smbclient //LinuxServerName/PrinterName
If you can connect up to it, but cannot see it when you do the
"smbclient -L" then the printer is not browsable.

Hope that helps some...

    - Tim Young