[CS-FSLUG] Network printer sharing with Windows

Bradly McConnell bradly.mcconnell at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 17:54:56 CDT 2005

On 10/1/05, Nathan T. <celerate at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone, we just got a laser printer on sale and we need to be
> able to get to it from all the computers at home. We have a network
> set up, but we need to get a Mandrake 9.1 box to share it over the
> network.
>
> I set the printer up in Mandrake using printerdrake, and told
> printerdrake that the printer should be shared on the network, but
> then it wasn't visible from the windows machines. I made shure the
> samba (smb) daemon was running and even went looking through the list
> of available Mandrake packages to see if I could find any solution but
> so far nothing.
>
> The printer works on Mandrake, but isn't visible across the network.
> Putting Linux on all the computers isn't an option since my sister
> refuses to use it, and some of my homework requires Windows specific
> software.
>
> PS. I have already searched TLDP, "printer sharing" didn't return any
> results.

I think you are going to have to look through the Samba FAQ. There are
accounts and permissions that need to be setup if the "network" is not a
domain with an actual PDC (i.e. only a common workgroup). You should be able
to allow anonymous access to the printer, along with the actual SMB share
that is linked to it. I did it in the past, but can't remember exactly what
I ended up doing, and didn't save a copy of the smb.conf. But I do remember
the Samba FAQ being the source of the answers.

Brad