[CS-FSLUG] Any thoughts on Ubuntu Linux?

Chris Brault gginorio at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 2 01:50:58 CDT 2005

Indeed,

>I really like it and am running it on 2 computers. My wife was
>disappointed with the speed decrease in comparison to Gentoo when I
>replaced it on that computer.
>

>>I downloaded an Ubuntu Linux Live/Installer DVD ISO, played with it
>>on a friend's laptop, and then installed it for her as she was
>>looking for an alternative to re-installing the copies of Win2k and
>>MS Office 2k that she (legally) owns.
>>
>>It's an older laptop, IBM ThinkPad T20, 700MHz P3, 256MB RAM; it has
>>a new harddrive, though -- an hd crash necessitated buying a new,
>>better hd . . . The system as a whole seems to run pretty well, and
>>is *much* more responsive than the Win2k/Office2k combo.
>>
>>Anyway, I was wondering if any of the list-members would like to
>>comment on the Ubuntu distribution? Do you recommend it? Any gripes
>>or praise to offer?

Ubuntu has been my distro of choice for some time. Formerly I used
Redhat then Fedora Core.  I decided to move to a debian based distro
because I liked it. After experimenting with alot of distros (source
based, RPM based, .deb based, etc.) I learned to enjoy the solid
usefulness, fast speed and package availability of Ubuntu. I'm testing
out Kubuntu right now. I've also run Gnome and XFCE4.

My opinion:

Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Xubuntu (XFCE4 based) are all stable.
Ubuntu offers a great package selection and apt repository.
Ubuntu does not come with the non-free stuff (mp3 support, java, etc.)

Gabe