[CS-FSLUG] Any thoughts on Ubuntu Linux?

Jerry VanBrimmer jevb.1 at runbox.com
Sun Oct 2 01:42:22 CDT 2005

On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 06:13:50PM -0400, Michael Bradley, Jr. wrote:
>                                                             JMJ + OBT
>
> I downloaded an Ubuntu Linux Live/Installer DVD ISO, played with it
> on a friend's laptop, and then installed it for her as she was
> looking for an alternative to re-installing the copies of Win2k and
> MS Office 2k that she (legally) owns.
>
> It's an older laptop, IBM ThinkPad T20, 700MHz P3, 256MB RAM; it has
> a new harddrive, though -- an hd crash necessitated buying a new,
> better hd . . . The system as a whole seems to run pretty well, and
> is *much* more responsive than the Win2k/Office2k combo.
>
> Anyway, I was wondering if any of the list-members would like to
> comment on the Ubuntu distribution? Do you recommend it? Any gripes
> or praise to offer?

I just noticed this thread tonight. I too have been using Ubunto Hoary
for about two months now. I was, and still am, a Slackware fan, but I
have to say, Ubuntu has been fun to use. Look up my other posts for my
other remarks about Ubuntu. I think it's a great desktop distro. I now
have it installed on two out of the three machines in my home, mine and
the teenager's. I was able to get a Linksys wireless device working on
the teenager's machine using ndiswrapper and the WinXP driver. I kike
Ubuntu, I just hope they don't overload it in their desire to win the
desktop war.

--
Godspeed,
Jerry