[CS-FSLUG] test

David Aikema daikema at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 18:26:12 CST 2005

On 11/18/05, Nicholas Donato <ndonato at gmail.com> wrote:
> As you can see, hda6, the large partition I had intended for home
> directories, was not mounted correctly.  I dunno why, but it wasn't.
> At any rate I edited the files to mount the home directories in the
> right place (/devhda6  /home), but I neglected to move or delete the
> 2-3 GBs of files that had been mistakenly placed in the old home
> directories, mounted off of the 6.? root file system.
>
> Sorry it took me sooooo long to get to it, but here is the question.
> How can I reclaim all of the space in the root file system (partition
> hda1)?

You could temporarily unmount the partition containing the new home
directories, and then hopefully you'll have access to the old.  (You
could temporarily mount the partition intended for /home at a
different mountpoint if you wish to copy the files instead of deleting
them).  For this, you'll basically need need to ensure that the only
user logged in is root, otherwise you probably won't be able to
unmount your new /home directories.  Basically, login as root, execute
"umount /home", and you should be able to see the old files.

Alternatively, you could use a live CD to access your partitions, and
then delete the files (I think that Knoppix auto-creates icons on the
desktop for each partition it detects).

Hope this helps,
David Aikema