[CS-FSLUG] test

Nicholas Donato ndonato at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 18:03:27 CST 2005

I have just experienced a rather strange problem.  I recently
installed Debian AMD64. I started with the 64 bit kanotix install,
because the regular sarge installer did not recognize my sound card,
and therefore did not create ANY sound device files.  The kanotix 64
installer, on the other hand correctly recognized all of my hardware
with the exception of the onboard ethernet port.  Then, of course once
I had kanotix installed, I could use apt-get to get all of the other
debian files.  So, I basically ended up with a Debian AMD 64/sid OS.
It was humming along great!

Then the strangness occured.  I was copying about 2.3 GB of files from
a back up that I had on another disk into my home directory so that I
could have easy acess to them, when suddenly kde gave me a "disk full"
 error.  I knew that I should have over 60GB of space available in the
/home file system, so I was puzzled to say the least.  When I
initially installed the Kanotix it's installer fired up Qparted (a
partitioning app) and here is more or less what I specified for the
partitioning scheme:

80GB hda
/    6.?GB
/swap  2.3GB (I have 2 gigs of ram)
/home 68GB

Everything seemed to go nicely, and I've been tweaking the resulting
system for a few days now.  Unfortunately, things were not as peachy
as they seemed.  Here is a copy of the fstab file created by Kanotix:

# /etc/fstab: filesystem table.
#
# filesystem  mountpoint  type  options  dump  pass
/dev/hda1  /  ext3  defaults,errors=remount-ro  0  1

proc  /proc  proc  defaults  0  0
/dev/fd0  /floppy  vfat  defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022  0  0
usbfs  /proc/bus/usb  usbfs  devmode=0666  0  0
sysfs  /sys  sysfs  defaults  0  0
tmpfs  /dev/shm  tmpfs defaults  0  0
/dev/cdrom /cdrom  iso9660  defaults,ro,users,noexec,noauto  0  0
/dev/cdrom1 /cdrom1  iso9660  defaults,ro,users,noexec,noauto  0  0
/dev/dvd /dvd  iso9660  defaults,ro,users,noexec,noauto  0  0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda5 none swap defaults 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda6 /mnt/hda6 ext3 auto,users,exec 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdb1 vfat auto,users,exec,umask=000,shortname=mixed,quiet 0 0

and here is the mtab:

/dev/hda1 / ext3 rw,errors=remount-ro 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,nodiratime 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
/dev/hda6 /mnt/hda6 ext3 rw,nosuid,nodev 0 0
/dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdb1 vfat rw,nosuid,nodev,umask=000,shortname=mixed,quiet 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs rw,devmode=0666 0 0
capifs /dev/capi capifs rw,mode=0666 0 0
automount(pid3010) /mnt/auto autofs rw,fd=4,pgrp=3010,minproto=2,maxproto=4 0 0

As you can see, hda6, the large partition I had intended for home
directories, was not mounted correctly.  I dunno why, but it wasn't.
At any rate I edited the files to mount the home directories in the
right place (/devhda6  /home), but I neglected to move or delete the
2-3 GBs of files that had been mistakenly placed in the old home
directories, mounted off of the 6.? root file system.

Sorry it took me sooooo long to get to it, but here is the question.
How can I reclaim all of the space in the root file system (partition
hda1)?

Thanks in advance for your help!