[CS-FSLUG] Philosophical Debate

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Tue Nov 8 18:50:51 CST 2005

Don Parris wrote:

>>Who's right? I admit I tend to favor the former. All the more so for
>>FreeBSD. This is because I view FOSS through the eyes of faith. I
>>understand "narrow is the path" following Jesus, and the logic of that
>>suits me. To find that in FOSS is comfortable and comforting. MS Windows
>>is an example of what accommodation looks like, in my mind. It results
>>in a hellish dependency and ignorance, and much waste of resources.
>
> This is truly scary, Ed.  No, I mean it.  Really.  You're scaring me
> here.  I see so many similar parallels between our faith and FOSS it
> isn't funny.  But you can laugh if you want to! :-)

I'm not laughing. I'm quite serious about it. The call of God on my life
includes a calling to FOSS, and logic of that is obvious. We could
discuss backsliding into the comforts of convenience, or the hermitage
of writing your own OS, etc. That plenty of people disagree with my
theology teaches me plenty will disagree with my computing, too. In the
end, for me to compromise on FOSS is a sin. Not because it's FOSS vs MS,
but because it's wasting God's resources. If there were a viable clone
of Windows that was open, and offered the safety and full user control,
I'd explore it, too. It's all about setting people free.

--
Ed Hurst