[CS-FSLUG] Philosophical Debate

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 18:10:51 CST 2005

On 11/8/05, Ed Hurst <ehurst at asisaid.com> wrote:
> Should Linux Have a Binary Driver Interface in the Kernel?

<SNIP>

> Who's right? I admit I tend to favor the former. All the more so for
> FreeBSD. This is because I view FOSS through the eyes of faith. I
> understand "narrow is the path" following Jesus, and the logic of that
> suits me. To find that in FOSS is comfortable and comforting. MS Windows
> is an example of what accommodation looks like, in my mind. It results
> in a hellish dependency and ignorance, and much waste of resources.

This is truly scary, Ed.  No, I mean it.  Really.  You're scaring me
here.  I see so many similar parallels between our faith and FOSS it
isn't funny.  But you can laugh if you want to! :-)

> There was a time when I was frantically trying to drag everyone into the
> Kingdom of God. I was so intensely aware of their desperate need of
> salvation, I wanted to try anything at all that would get them on their
> knees. Over the years, I began to see all those spiritual stillborns --
> those convinced they were in, but could offer nothing of the Fruit of
> the Spirit. They had no power to walk in the Spirit of the Lord. Now,
> I'm willing to do all I can to put the Truth within reach, to make it
> clear and simple, just as I am willing to write articles so clueless
> folks can run FreeBSD. However, I won't make it simpler by making it
> something less than it really is.

I remember shortly after re-dedicating my life to Christ I tried to
witness to a fellow Marine.  Looking back, it was really pathetic.  I
mean, I literally tried to get him to imagine the "smoke of his
torment" rising up from Hell forever.  I'm sure I scared Heaven AND
Hell out of him.  Thankfully, my pastor explained to me soon
afterwards that there was a better way to share the love of Christ.
So far, I have really tried that approach with GNU/Linux. ;-)

> It saddens me so many people choose death. Nonetheless, if I choose Life
> for them, it won't be Life. It has to be their choice. So it is in
> computing: If they really need their computer to work, they need it bad
> enough to do it right. They need to learn FOSS and become a minor
> expert, or pay someone else to do it for them. Otherwise, they don't
> *need* it. Just as $3 worth of God won't change you, casual computer use
> doesn't justify reaching for that Linux box at the computer store. Yeah,
> it's usually cheaper than the one that says "Windows." Instead of
> dollars, you pay with your time and attention.

Just as it is important for Christians to mature in their faith,
perhaps we should also become a little more adept at computing?

> Elitism sneers at Joe Sixpack and Grandma. I don't sneer, but I can't
> help them. I'm called of God to help people who really need their
> computer and what it does for them, just as I'm called to show people
> Christ is not a simple addition to your daily routine. Mine is not a
> ministry of making you feel all better about things. I really can't see
> it any other way.

These are very interesting thoughts, Ed.  I admit, there are times
when I want someone to do it for me.  Hmmm...

Don
--
DC Parris GNU Evangelist
http://matheteuo.org/