[CS-FSLUG] Missionary Contacts Program - Come Help :-)

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Tue Nov 8 11:47:39 CST 2005

Excellent! Glad to see you joining missions...

There is another product out there, besides TNTMPD that is called
"DonorManager." It is written in foxpro.

Another one that is web-based, can be found at servantsite.com.

There is a book titled, "friend raising" by Betty Barnett, that has some
really good information in it that explains a lot about why these three
"products" are so complex. It is more than just trying to track an
address, it is trying to maintain a friendship over distance and time.
Most of the complexities in these programs are put in there because
trying to have a tool that helps the missionary relate to their
supporters, must work like the missionary thinks, must contain the
information that the missionary needs, must interact with devices
(handhelds, laptops, etc) to be be portable, and needs to have certain
levels of security depending on the status of the missionary.

In short, it is not a simple project unless you are just making it for
yourself. :) The developers of these three projects all do it on almost
a full-time basis. They are missionaries in their own right, but some of
them put a number of hours per day on their project. A lot of that is
because missionaries keep getting more technology that needs to be
interoperated with, etc.

My advice: If you build something. PAINSTAKINGLY STAY WITH OPEN
STANDARDS. There is a tool, multisync, that you could build one
interface for and sync with LOTS of stuff. People are forever
reinventing a sync tool, a mail-merge tool, etc. Open standards are your
friend.

(Not surprising advice to get from someone on this list, eh?)

If you could work with ServantSite, I would probably recommend going
that route before building your own. Shawn Parrish (of servantsite) has
been a missionary for years, and knows a lot about what it takes to keep
up with your donors. It is a bit complex, but it is a rather cool site
with a lot of thought behind it, and is very much an opensource project.

Blessings,

- Tim