[CS-FSLUG] Missionary Contacts Program - Come Help :-)

Stephen J. McCracken smccracken at hcjb.org.ec
Tue Nov 8 11:38:56 CST 2005

Ritchie, Josiah S. wrote:
> Thanks :-)
>
> Also thanks for the thoughts. I envision this being something that would
> be offered as a web service to missionaries so they wouldn't have to
> have any program installed, skipping the cross-platform issue. I expect
> that the service would be provided by the agency.
>
> I'm very interested in learning from your experience in this area so
> load it on. Maybe, I'm following too much of the "web services" trend".
> Would the ability to download a CSV file with certain contact
> information to import into popular addressbook type programs fill the
> off-line needs?

Realize that the US is spoiled regarding Internet access.  Many
missionaries will, on average, be on dial-up.  Some places might have
broadband, but it will probably be expensive.  Other places will not
have access, or at best intermittent access.  Others will have only
Internet Cafes as their access.

Also think of the average mission agency.  Most have little IT support
staff, so will be more willing to buy canned products and this leads to
some having more MS infrastructure.

One thing you will want to look into is if there is a way to download
donor information from the missions' accounting system to the local
users' contact information program.

Just some random thoughts.

sjm

> If you have any advice for home ministry for technical missions I'd be
> interested in hearing that too. :-) Since I'm working both in the US and
> as support, I'm expecting to work hard to raise support. I'm also having
> trouble figuring out what I can realistically do as a ministry to a
> church while my wife and I are visiting with them. I thought maybe a
> computer ethics Sunday school class or something.

I'll try to think on this and probably write to you directly.

sjm