[CS-FSLUG] The People Own Ideas

Don Parris evangelinux at thefreelyproject.org
Thu May 19 13:36:33 CDT 2005

Here's an excellent article by Lawrence Lessig at Technology Review:
http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/05/06/issue/feature_people.asp?p=1

>From the article:
"The parallel between free software and free culture is strong, though
bringing it out will require some distinctions. For unlike software, culture
has always had an element of proprietary control. And for most of our
history, proprietary culture has actually encouraged free culture. But
changes in the way culture is owned now make necessary the free-culture
movement that Brazil is promoting. To understand that movement, we must
understand what provoked it."

For those of us who endeavor to engage the Church with respect to the libre
philosophy and its implications for the Church, this article introduces the
concept related to libre software - libre culture.  I've been addressing
these things in my own blog as well.  I think I'll change the name of my
blog at some point to reflect the nature of the issues I address.

Is anyone else interested in forming a sort of "think-tank" to come up with
ideas for engaging the Church on these issues?  Anyone who does not see a
moral issue involved with libre software does not fully realize what drives
libre software.  When we realize that libre software is driven by "libre
philosophy", we must consider its implications for the Church.  This is what
I hope to help others see.

Blessings,
Don
--