[CS-FSLUG] OT: Is Microsoft considering acquisition of Red Hat?

Chris Brault groundhog3000 at yahoo.com
Sun May 15 04:53:28 CDT 2005

This is speculation,

> That sounds too incredible to be true, and I never
> trust anything from ZDNet or for that matter C-Net.

I trust ZDnet, C-net and Didiot. They are NOT partial
in any way and I was NOT paid to say that.

> I don't see why, after trying to damage Linux so
> much, Microsoft would consider buying Red Hat. If
> they are planning to do this to liquidate
> the company after and eliminate it as competition
> they'll only be doing Novell a favour.

Microsoft partners then steals. Or these days buys-out
other companies. They do not innovate. That said ...

Would getting into the Linux business by buying a
major player be their style? Yes. Could they quickly
liquidate their Linux competition? Yes. Would that
increase the risk of another anti-trust suit? You bet!

Besides, would M$ suffer the humiliation? Imagine the
press release: An official spokesman attempts to
explain Microsoft's Purchase of Redhat. "... so as you
can see, we are NOT admitting that Linux is better. We
are simply giving OUR customers what they want <insert
smile here>". This is admitting that Linux is better
in some ways by actions, but denying it with words.
Almost like Gates turned Moslem.

Either way, It would hurt company morale and shake
consumer confidence way too much. And do you honestly
they'd sell? They'd become the pariah of the Linux
world. But since they already have a locked in
customer base, now M$ can engineer two monopolies.

Anyways, those are my thoughts.