[CS-FSLUG] rkhunter

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Tue Mar 22 14:06:21 CST 2005

On Tue March 22 2005 2:49 pm, K Montgomery wrote:
> Fred A. Miller wrote:
> >Most of you probably know about rkhunter or of it. It does a VERY good job
> > of searching any system for intrusion. I have it compiled and in rpm
> > form. It SHOULD install on any Linux box supporting rpm. If you wan it,
> > let me know via private email and I'll file attach.
> >
> >Fred
>
> In case any of you would find the URL useful: http://www.rootkit.nl
>
> I used this on my Linux desktop/server machine at my old job.  I wish I
> could say I knew it worked, because it never found any rootkits on my
> computer.  (So I assume there weren't any.)  However, I was comforted
> that definition updates were regularly available, and the reports
> provided by the software were very clear.

My system here is about as tight as it can be. I had a call recently from
someone who suspected a problem on his R.H. box.......installed rkhunter and
sure 'nuff......he did. 'Not liking R.H., I put SUSE 9.2 on it, using SUSE's
firewall................all good since. I think he simply didn't have the
firewall configured properly or had done updates as he should.

Fred

--
The only bug free software from MickySoft is still shrink-wrapped
in their warehouse..."