[CS-FSLUG] Successful Filesystem Recovery - ReiserFS Kernel Bug

Don Parris gnumathetes at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 15:59:28 CST 2005

Most of the time, I post tech questions to ask for help.  This time,
I'll turn the tables and hope it helps someone else.

I experienced a kernel bug pertaining to ReiserFS, which is the
filesystem for two of my three primary partitions.  XFS is the
filesystem for the remaining partition.  The kernel bug affected hda1
and I could not boot - not even into failsafe.  I inserted the SUSE
DVD and ran reiserfsck.  It returned a message that it found an error
that could only be fixed using the --rebuild-tree option.  After
re-running it with the repair option reiserfsck reported that the
filesystem had been successfully repaired.  I booted into a fully
working system.

I run SUSE Linux Pro 9.2 on a custom PC with an AMD 1.3GHz processor,
256MB RAM, and an 80GB Seagate HDD.  I had run YOU twice fairly
recently, but had experienced minor system freezes prior to the 2nd
up-date (which I had hoped would solve the issue).  I did manage to
boot into failsafe mode at one point, but when I attempted to reboot
later, could not get even failsafe to work.  I'll have to post any
details on the kernel bug later, if I can.

Regards,
Don
--
DC Parris GNU Evangelist