[CS-FSLUG] Hardware for Linux?

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Mon Jun 20 21:28:59 CDT 2005

Hi Eduardo,
> I'm planning to get an x86 system. I hoped to get a Mac G5, but
> Apple's
> decision to go Intel killed that. Obviously, I expect to run GNU/Linux
> on it.

     You may want to still consider the PM G5. Given that it is the
little brother of the Power 4 processor, and IBM is committed to
keeping Power working with GNU/Linux, for your purposes you shouldn't
hit any bumps in the road for having picked it. (PPC distros like YDL
are planning to stick to PPC as well -- afterall, x86 Macs will
presumably run normal distros).

> 1. What would be better, price-wise? An Intel P4 3.x GHz or an AMD
> Athlon 64?

     I think it depends on which model  you go after, quite a bit.
Are you looking at a fairly fast one? You may also want to consider
the new Pentium D's, which are dual core and based on the Pentium M
design (which in turn is based on the superior Pentium III design,
rather than the P4 design).

> 2. What would be a good video card for Linux capable of providing
> hardware acceleration with open source drivers ?

     If you are looking for 3D acceleration, I don't think any that
I've seen. Basically, as far as I can tell, you only have three
graphics process lines that are presently being updated: Intel's
questionable Extreme Graphics, nVidia's and ATI's. Neither nVidia nor
ATI offer the specs necessary to make FOSS 3D acceleration on current
models, the last I checked. Extreme Graphics works fine, but it isn't
nearly as fast as even a cheap one of those ATI/nVidia cards running
the proprietary drivers.

> 3. I would like to hear FM/AM radio in my system. What hardware do I
> need for it? Is a video card with TV tuner enough, or must I get a
> dedicated tuner card?

     You might have to look harder. Most tuner cards do not seem to
support AM radio.

     -Tim

---
Timothy R. Butler | "It may be that  when the angels go about their
Editor, OfB.biz   | task  praising God,  they play only Bach.  I am
tbutler at ofb.biz   | sure,  however,  that when they are together en
timothybutler.us  | famille they play Mozart."
                                                       -- Karl Barth