[CS-FSLUG] NI: Will proprietary go away?

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Mon Jun 13 22:11:58 CDT 2005

FROM THE NEWS EDITOR
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Will proprietary go away?
[by Mark Brunelli]
mbrunelli at techtarget.com

Greetings,

I went down to New Orleans recently for the first ever Red Hat Summit
and heard some great examples of how open source is positively
impacting the world.

Australian citizens use open source to maximize their access to
freely available government data. Plans are being made for open
source to serve as the technological backbone of a center dedicated
to monitoring the consumption of the world's natural resources. Not
long ago, an open source approach was credited with helping a U.K.
charity stop a private firm from gaining distribution rights to
personal DNA information.

I also heard more than one speaker say that the information demands
of the 21st century require an open approach. The proprietary
approach, they say, is too fragmented, and is destined to fade away.

While I agree that open source is really taking off, I have to wonder
if talk about "proprietary going away" is a bit premature. After all,
most companies still use proprietary systems, and Linux and open
source still tend to be on the periphery.

What do you think about all this? Is proprietary really leaving us?
Drop me a line at mailto:mbrunelli at techtarget.com and speak your
mind. I'll use your comments in an upcoming news article. And don't
forget to read more about the Red Hat and LinuxWorld Summits in this
week's featured topic.

See you online,
Mark Brunelli
News Editor