[CS-FSLUG] Laptops and iBooks (OT)

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Wed Jul 27 00:49:37 CDT 2005

On Wednesday 27 July 2005 1:12 am, Nathan T. wrote:
> Fred, the waiting game isn't for me. I've wanted to get a laptop for a
> few years but had to wait until I could get a job first, I've also
> wanted to try Mac OS X but haven't because it's so alien and I haven't
> even had the chance to see it working yet. Right now I'm glad to see
> that Apple has increased the ram without upping the price too much, in
> fact I'm not sure I remember correctly but it looks close to the same
> as it was before the ram increase, a price reduction would be nice but
> I don't think I can wait.

You know your situation better than anyone else. I'd suggest that you got to a
store that has them and "play" around with the model you're considering, just
to make sure the monitor is large enough, etc. If you're happy with it, then
go for it.

> I definately want to have something before school starts again because
> I don't know if I'll be able to keep my job once school starts again,
> I do hope to because it's a nice job except for the fact that Wayne is
> there (until December :-) ). Truth be told I doubt I'll ever take any
> of my expensive stuff outside of the house unless I had a good enough
> reason, which doesn't come around very often so desktop upgrades would
> also be feasible, but those would cost just as much and wouldn't allow
> me to type school notes or tinker with C++ from a comfortable position
> on my soft, comfy bed :-) .

Hehehehe.....getting soft in you're tender age, eh? ;)

> Sure, it might all sound silly, but I don't really have much else in
> life to enjoy. I don't have much in the way of friends and never did
> so I turned to computers and programming (beats TV and japanese
> cartoons ;-) ), there also isn't much of a back yard here (plus it's
> full of large discusting bugs) nor are there any fun places to go that
> haven't been taken over by gangs of kids. I consider myself
> intellectual, not athletic, and as with any "geek" (I don't
> particularly like the name because of the new definition it got from
> movies and television) I like working with computers.

I can identify with that. I was a professional musician long before I
graduated from high school. HOURS of practice and school studies mandated no
sports. I was fortunate that my dad and uncles did take me fishing and
hunting frequently, so I did get to enjoy the outdoors quite a bit.

I've not had much of a need for a laptop. I've installed SUSE on a number of
them, and have been frustrated frequently because so much of what's made
today is "marginal" hardware. That is, they take every shortcut they can
take, which often creates problems keeping even 'Bloze running. I think if I
had to get a laptop, I'd get an Apple.

Fred

to you, at this time.