[CS-FSLUG] Laptops and iBooks

Jerry VanBrimmer jevb.1 at runbox.com
Mon Jul 25 22:54:01 CDT 2005

On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 08:40:51PM -0600, Nathan T. wrote:

> Just to let you know how far things have gone, I downloaded Debian
> which I had always considered my last resort since my previous
> experience with it wasn't great. I may consider Mandrake again, but
> that's about a fifty-fifty chance.

Please have a look at SLAX. Though I haven't used it in a long time, it
is a live-cd, and I assume it's possible to install it to hard disk, see
this thread: http://slax.linux-live.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5930

SLAX will give you a good feel for what Slackware can do. Slackware is
*not* a hard distro to get up and running. There is a great manual
online: http://www.slackbook.org/

And there are a multitude of Slackware sites:
http://cookingupsomeslack.com/
http://www.groupsrv.com/linux/forum-9.html
http://www.linuxpackages.net/forum/
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/forumdisplay.php?forumid=14
http://linuxtipps.sourceforge.net/index.php
http://members.cox.net/laitcg/new/intro.html
http://www.slackware.org/
http://shilo.is-a-geek.com/slack/intro0.html
http://swaret.sourceforge.net/index.php
http://www.userlocal.com/
http://www.audioslack.com/
http://dle.kiwiuk.net/linuxguides/
http://www.slackware.com/~msimons/slackware/grfx/
http://f-r-e-d.org/zanimo.html
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=slackware

http://asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/checkinstall/
                                 ^ checkinstall makes it easy to
install packages in native Slackware .tgz format. You can take any
tarball, run ./configure, make, checkinstall, then pkginstall
<package>, and Voila! you have installed a Slackware package that the
package management system knows about. It *IS* really that simple.
Another thing, the *ONLY* time I have had dependency problems is when I
was trying to install Evolution and Sylpheed. Slack really is simple,
and stable. Works the same way *every* time you boot it up. (As long as you don't
tweak on it of course. :-))

heers,
Jerry

--