[CS-FSLUG] Maps with free software

Jukka jukka.ylonen at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 16:10:25 CDT 2005

Hi everyone!

Few weeks ago I volunteered to do some maps for Finnish Lutheran
Mission. I took it as an opportunity to show what I can do with
open-source software. Finnish Lutheran Mission is a christian mission
organization which operates both in Finland and other countries. In
Finland they have divided into 17 "departments" which operate among
local lutheran congregations in different parts of Finland. They are
doing a "facelift" to their homesites after this summer(17 sites all
together) and needed maps to each homesite that present
areas/congregations they operate in. Maps had to include also links to
contact information and homesites of congregations covered by the map.
I have dome maps using Inkscape, Gimp, Nvu and Bluefish. Maps are
based on bitmap pictures from some finnish map-service
(http://www3.intermin.fi/Aluejaot/Aluejaot - with their a permission),
but then completely "re-drawn" into a vector-format. If you are
interested this kind of things, I'd like to hear what you think of
them (you can also get a glimpse what finnish lutheran
congregations/churches look like :).. Some texts in web-pages may not
look right because of some scandinavian characters, but I hope it
doesn't disturb too much.

My "Inkscape"-maps:
http://uudenmaankl.sekl.fi/kartta/toiminta-alueet.html

Blessings,