[CS-FSLUG] What would you do?

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Mon Jan 31 23:19:19 CST 2005

Ed Hurst wrote:

> Taking ideas here...
>
> I was given another Gateway Solo 2500 laptop, but this one has a dead
> CD-ROM. It's wholly unlikely I'll be able to get another CD drive for
> this. The price on one I saw was nearly $100 (I don't trust Ebay, so
> forget that). If I get it running with something, I should be able to
> connect to the Internet and download anything else I need. Since the
> floppy still works, that's the only way I can get an OS started.
>
> Thus, I need an OS that can install from a few floppies (okay, up to
> 10 is  tolerable for me). This thing has a P2/233Mhz, 96MB RAM, a
> 3.6GB  harddrive, all the usual ports, including two USBs. I don't
> have access to  a USB drive, so whatever I use has to actually install
> from floppies with  enough utilities to format the harddrive
> (currently FAT 32), make it  somewhat useable and have sufficient
> drivers to recognize when I plug a  modem into at least the COM port,
> if not the PCMCIA slot.
>
> What would you do?

Well if you really want to know what *I* would do I might as well tell
you :-) .
First I would get FreeDOS on the thing to see if it would work, then I
would get DJGPP on a floppy and install that too, finally I would play
around with it all until I either decided I liked it enough that way or
I would find myself an RPM based distribution that can be installed from
an floppy over a network or FTP and if that is not available I would use
something that runs off a floppy or two or if I really got desperate I
might try using a Debian based distribution that can be installed from a
floppy but to be honest at that point I'd just put FreeDOS back on it
and find a word processor, web browser and e-mail client for DOS.

--
http://celerate.blogspot.com/