[CS-FSLUG] What would you do?

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Mon Jan 31 17:54:54 CST 2005

Taking ideas here...

I was given another Gateway Solo 2500 laptop, but this one has a dead
CD-ROM. It's wholly unlikely I'll be able to get another CD drive for
this. The price on one I saw was nearly $100 (I don't trust Ebay, so
forget that). If I get it running with something, I should be able to
connect to the Internet and download anything else I need. Since the
floppy still works, that's the only way I can get an OS started.

Thus, I need an OS that can install from a few floppies (okay, up to 10 is
tolerable for me). This thing has a P2/233Mhz, 96MB RAM, a 3.6GB
harddrive, all the usual ports, including two USBs. I don't have access to
a USB drive, so whatever I use has to actually install from floppies with
enough utilities to format the harddrive (currently FAT 32), make it
somewhat useable and have sufficient drivers to recognize when I plug a
modem into at least the COM port, if not the PCMCIA slot.

What would you do?

--
Ed Hurst