[CS-FSLUG] A Grand Pipe-dream Proposal

Christopher Rose kf6snj at lycos.com
Thu Jan 27 22:24:14 CST 2005

Ed,

Did I miss the point? Neither Tin Foil Hat Linux nor Pocket Linux have an x-server and they work just fine. Both are apparently slackware based and can use the pkg command to install a cli based spreadsheet program and a few other things like midnight commander (a file manager). Tin Foil is an overly secure version of Linux that is pure cli and Pocket Linux (and Herbix for that matter) are also pure cli, though meant more for networking. As I previously stated, I do not know if they can be installed to a hard drive or not, but they can write to hd just fine (Tin Foil can wipe a 500MB hard drive to factory clean in about 30 minutes---I know, I did). Oh, have you looked at the X-server in Basic Linux? It works great for my laptop at 640X480 and my laptop is 100MHz 486 using an AMD-X-5 chip. Not to mention that you do not setup x in basic linux. In fact, you NEVER have to startx if you don't want to as it boots at the console and works find as a console, though you can download and install extra tools and accessories, including a cli based speadsheet (sc.tgz), and improved ssh.tgz client and can be used for dialup networking. Basic DOES install to HD if you so desire. However, if that is not what you are looking for, I did once install turbolinux in a very basic configuration in which all I installed was BASH, the Kernel, and a couple of other small utilities (only to find myself unable to do much with it beyond playing that Dunnet game on emacs). No x-server or anything else that was useful to me. Please understand that I am not being critical, just analyzing this as I type. If my reply is of no help to you, I understand. I was just trying to help.

Pax,
Christopher