[CS-FSLUG] A Grand Pipe-dream Proposal

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Thu Jan 27 21:41:43 CST 2005

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005, Christopher Rose wrote:

> Basic linux is pretty easy to learn and Pocket Linux is a one disk
> console floppy (so is Tin Hat, but it has quirks). There are couple
> of download sites left for Grey Cat 3 if you don't mind Linux on a
> Dos partition, but at least you will have an X-server and netscape 3.
> I do know they will run in a 486 enviroment and I have heard from the
> Basic Linux listserv that one guy is running BL3 on an old 286 that
> somebody gave him (you know he had to have upgraded the floppy drive
> at the very least). I have also heard of Pocket Linux running on a
> Mac, though it does not install (strictly a floppy distro, but it can
> write to hd with a little work). I know that there are a couple of
> other floppy distros, including Herbix (which was more of a floppy
> router than an actual distro), that seem pretty straight forward.
> Hope this helps.
>
> Pax,
> Christopher Rose

You miss the point, Christopher. Why setup X at all, when it's possible
to do everything with it? I'm not asking for advice to identify floppy
distros; I'm asking to get rid of X altogether. Let's talk about VGA
screens. There's NO version of X that works adequately in 640x480
without a virtual screen, and nowadays nothing on the desktop works in
256 color, much less 16 color. I've tried it. Every major GUI toolkit
now assumes 16-bit color at a minimum. A genuine console work
environment is superior for such things, if it has all the tools.

Ed Hurst