[CS-FSLUG] Multimedia support in SUSE 9.2

N. Thompson n.thomp at sasktel.net
Fri Jan 21 01:25:17 CST 2005

I've encountered something rather disheartening about SUSE Linux 9.2, it works
nice and fast but kaffeine (the video player) doesn't play back any media
formats I've tried that actually have a video, it doesn't go far beyond a few
simple formats. There is also an issue with amaroK in which some streaming
media such as mp3s from one of the internet radio stations I listen to
doesn't play but rather simply pops up a download dialog which tries to
download the stream data to a temporary file instead of playing it and that
goes on infinitely until I click the cancel button but I never get any music
out of it.

For the most part Juk works and I can listen to streaming music with kaffeine
but I hate having things that don't work in the operating systems I use, I
filled out an information request form on the SUSE web site where I was
asking them whether or not these issues would also be present in the
professional edition but I'm not likely to get an answer for another 16 hours
at least and I'm impatient.

Can someone here with SUSE 9.2 professional tell me whether these issues also
affect the professional edition, I'm very sadened that multimedia support is
still rather poor, the video files I tried to play in kaffeine were .mov
files of my cat back when she was just a few months old.

amaroK would also crash a fair bit but I think that was because of the problem
with the streaming media, most likely a bug in the program that doesn't cause
a crash until it tries to close at which point the crash would occur for me.

Mandrake didn't have that great of multimedia support either, back when I was
using 10.0 I would fetch the mplayer and codec rpms from plf, I could have
probably compiled the same for SUSE from source on my computer but at the
rate I have accidents and have to reinstall it wouldn't be worth it to do
that every time. I want a distribution that works with as little modification
as possible after the installation, I'm hoping that SUSE 9.2 pro will be that
distribution but if the multimedia support in the free DVD download is any
indication I'd be better off waiting for the next version of SUSE or whatever
distribution might grab my fancy during the wait.

Fred, please tell me the multimedia support in SUSE pro is better than in the
downloaded DVD version I have, everything else worked so well :-( .

--
http://celerate.blogspot.com/