[CS-FSLUG] Reformatting for Win95

Frank Bax fbax at sympatico.ca
Thu Jan 20 15:03:33 CST 2005

At 12:33 PM 1/20/05, Nigel Ridley wrote:
>Somebody gave me an old Pentium -S 66 mhz computer with a dead hard drive.
>I put in a 2.4 GB one that I had been using for Linux.
>Q. How can I format it all for Win95 (there is no cdrom boot in the bios)?
>I tried using a dos diskette and the 'fdisk' utility but it only reports
>530(?) MB available.
>
>What options are there available using Linux on a floppy to repartition
>the HD?

Some P1 systems had a BIOS limit of 2G - I think the first version on Win95
(copyright 1996 on cdrom) also had the same limit.  The most common version
of Win95 was Win95b or OSR2 (copyright 1997 on cdrom) did not have a 2G
limit.  There were also OSR2.1 and OSR2.5, but I think they were OEM
distribution only.

What version of DOS/Win9x created the boot floppy - if it's really DOS,
then maybe there was a limit below 2G in that version of fdisk.

Frank