[CS-FSLUG] website petitions

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Fri Jan 14 20:26:57 CST 2005

Frank Bax wrote:
> At 04:48 PM 1/14/05, Fred A. Miller wrote:
>
>> That is why it is so vital that the pro-life citizens of
>> our nation take immediate action by clicking below:
>>
>> http://www.cfra.info/183/petition.asp?RID=1864622
>

> Does anyone know where to find stats for effectiveness of website
> petitions?  I'm guessing at ratios in following paragraph...
>
> I once heard that a visit to your government representative was
> "equivalent" to a few hundred phone calls.  A phone call was
> "equivalent" to a few hundred letters.  Hand written letters were
> "worth" more than a typed one (too easy to simply copy and add a
> signature).  Petitions have less value again.  I'm guessing internet
> petitions are nearly worthless.  The general idea is that the more
> inconvenient it is for you to make your voice known, the more notice is
> taken by the recipient.

The results vary.....ALL forms of contact are good, IMHO. What I do, and
I recommend others do, is to sign the petition, but also follow it up
with a personal letter. Even pre-witten letters, dated & signed by
others and mailed by them, are VERY good. In particular if there's a
"hot" issue, like one we have here with the NY State DEC and a VERY
stupid deer season change they are proposing, then SEND the
letters..................LOTS AND LOTS of them!! Politicians pay more
attention to letters - read that mail - than any other form of
discourse. The problem is, that you a maybe most of us here will write
letters, but MOST people won't. Being blunt, they're simply too lazy to
do it. I'm printing off 500 letters right now in reference to the above
issue for others to sign and mail......already printed the envelopes. :)

Fred

--
The only bug free software from MickySoft is still shrink-wrapped
in their warehouse..."