TD: Re: [CS-FSLUG] God Didn't Say That

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Tue Jan 11 16:49:11 CST 2005

Timothy R. Butler wrote:

>> Let's say I am a homosexual (which im far from) and a Christian comes
>> to me
>> and tells me that I'm a bigot, im nasty, I'm just downright wrong and
>> sinful
>> or as Gabe put it "Pure nasty and distasteful", do you think I would
>> give a
>> second thought on asking you to help me?
>

>     Indeed. That's why I always try to avoid comparing homosexuality to
> "horrible sins." It's the same as every other type of sin. Comparing it
> to premarital, heterosexual sex is especially useful (instead of calling
> it "pure nasty and distasteful, for instance), IMO, since it levels the
> playing field, particularly if the person confronting them is unmarried.
> Suddenly the confronter has established common ground with the
> confrontee even if the former has never had same-sex attractions.
>
>     Coming out firing with verbal ammunition does no favors for anyone.

You touched on something that that Gabe had said...."Pure nasty and
distasteful." Sex acts between homosexuals and between lesbians  IS so
revolting and disgusting to heterosexuals, that responses to that group
is much more vocal and emotional than it is to other sin committed by
other people. Now, I won't say that these reactions aren't
understandable, because they certainly are. But as Tim has pointed out,
it doesn't make it any easier to witness to someone who's made the wrong
choice. I know a number of Christians who can't handle being anywhere
near a homosexual or lesbian. I know this is not correct, but as I said,
I understand how they feel.

Fred

--
The only bug free software from MickySoft is still shrink-wrapped
in their warehouse..."