[CS-FSLUG] The God of restoration.

Warren Sanders warren at sandersonline.org
Mon Jan 10 16:25:49 CST 2005

Fred A. Miller wrote:
> The God of restoration.  One of the most encouraging things the Bible
> teaches us, is that God is a God of restoration.  The Bible tells us that we
> all sin and fall short of God's glory, but what happens to us after we sin
> is what I want to focus on today.  One of the most visible sins in the Bible
> has to be Peter's denial of Christ.  After following the Lord, living with
> Him, seeing the miracles, hearing the teachings, even being so bold to
> proclaim Jesus to be "the Son of the living God"...this same Peter in fear
> of his life denies even knowing who Jesus is.
>
> If the story of Peter ended there, it would indeed be tragic.  However, we
> see that same Peter, just days later in John chapter 21 being restored to
> fellowship by Jesus.

I wasn't quite sure what to make of this "tragic" mistake statement.  I believe
that when you accept Christ as your Savior you are accepting His payment for all
your sins past present and future.  Also I believe that once you are saved, you
cannot be unsaved so to speak.  I am not to worry about sins I have forgotten.
The Lord has also forgotten my sin as well.  So... I'm confused!  Why would it
be "tragic"?  I am not Saved by my lack of sin!  Only One thing saves me and
that is not an act of a sinless life it's accepting The Gift that saves me.

Because of propitiation, I am not judged on "judgment day" rather I am held
accountable by my sin.  Therefore I confess that I have acknowledge my error and
promise to try harder.

> After we sin, the most important thing we can do before the restoration
> process takes place is to confess our sin and ask God's forgiveness.  1 John
> 1:9 tells us that if we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive
> us, and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.  God wants to forgive you!  God
> wants to cleanse you!  But you have to make the first move.  You have to
> swallow your pride and admit to God you sinned.  You have to be sick enough
> of the sin to want to be rid of it once and for all.
>
> I am not talking about that "morning after" confession either.  I am talking
> about that confession that says I am sorry, and I am ready to walk away from
> this sin once and for all.  We all feel sorry for our sins after we commit
> them.  The issue is whether we are ready to deal with them once and for all,
> and allow the restoration process to begin.  My friend, it is not God
> holding back that process, it is you.  You have to be serious about getting
> rid of the sin that is in your life.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with these statements but I most certainly wouldn't
be using this sort of dialog to win the lost.  This sort of talk draws too much
attention to this idea that "to become a Christian you must stop doing" this and
that, but rather I would talk about all the things you can do and all the
bondage you are free from.

--
Warren Sanders
Family Photo Galleries