[CS-FSLUG] Humor me a moment

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Sat Jan 8 07:49:55 CST 2005

R. Thompson wrote:
> Hi Ed,
>
>     I appreciate your posting.  After some thought it came to mind to
> pray for you, it seems that this ongoing problem may be making you feel
> bitter over the treatment you've received at the hands of people that
> you feel should be treating people with more consideration and respect.

That's a good question. I don't believe I'm bitter, per se, because I
deliver most of this with a smile -- too bad I can't put that in the
prose. As I said, I was willing to merely make note that I am watchful,
with the obvious implication that Americans should also be watchful.
Naturally there are two sides and we aren't going to hear from the US
Marshals. However there is a strong sense of betrayal.

>     It brought to mind our childrens' problems with bullies in the
> school and indifference of the school officials (who publicly claim they
> do something about bullying).  And then there have been my own problems
> with a previous employer.  We're working at putting the negative parts
> of these experiences behind us and move on.  Bullies may not grow up,
> there are occupations / positions where inconsiderate and unthinking
> behaviour pays well :-)  We serve a higher calling, and answer to higher
> authority.

Quite right on the bullying. On the one hand, it's exceedingly difficult
to make one or a group of students stop hating. OTOH, one can most
certainly punish hateful behavior simply as bad behavior. That was one
of my real complaints with education systems. The current method is to
try and make the kids feel guilty for hating, and the kids know it's not
really about behavior, so they persist. I rather think Martin Luther
adequately addressed the ability of government to change the conscience.
Simply punishing the behavior clearly works better, but the entire
system rejects that method fundamentally. The education community subtly
encourages hatred in the staff for "improper feelings." And indeed,
having viewed law enforcement training up close, I can assure you that
bullying is encouraged in that profession.

>     You're in my prayers brother!

A request for that is certainly the object of my rant.

--
Ed Hurst