[CS-FSLUG] God Didn't Say That

Timothy R. Butler tbutler at uninetsolutions.com
Thu Jan 6 12:08:26 CST 2005

>>     The etiology of a particular word has no relevance to the
>> issue... especially since we are talking about something translated.
>> There are many words without 1:1 equivalents between Koine Greek and
>> modern English (or any language for that matter).
>>
>>     (There's a reason why Muslims are so insistent on reading the
>> Qu'ran in its original tongue... having modern Christians equipped
>> with the ability to do the same with the Bible would be immensely
>> useful.)
>>
>>     -Tim
>>

> So in a nutshell,  what are you saying??

	Two points there:

	1.) The fact that the English word homosexual only came into use (at
least in print) in the late 19th century has no real relevance to the
issue, nor does the fact that the Koine Greek word use is not a 1:1
equivalent (as Eduardo notes, it still is quite clear what it means --
it is rare that a literal translation of a word will be 100% the same).

	2.) We'd probably all be better off if we insisted on doing serious
Bible study with the original languages. Of course, few actually want
to take the time to learn Greek and, most especially, Hebrew.

	-Tim

Timothy R. Butler       Universal Networks      www.uninet.info
| Christian Portal:      | Have you not learned great lessons |
|      www.faithtree.com | from those  who  braced themselves |
| GNU/Linux News:        | against  you   and   disputed  the |
|            www.ofb.biz | passage with you?   --Walt Whitman |