[CS-FSLUG] server distro?

Stephen J. McCracken smccrack at hcjb.org.ec
Thu Jan 6 11:40:15 CST 2005

Brian Derr wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 10:10:52AM +0700, ainion wrote:
>
>>Besides Turbo Linux, what other distros that are designed for server
>>installation? Ease of deployment will be good, too.
>

> If you can stand the thought of not using Linux perhaps OpenBSD would be
> a good OS to try.  I ran version 3.5 on an old Compaq server that had

As was mentioned before, it all depends on the placement and the use of
the server.  Is it an internal server with good firewalls around to any
untrusted area?  Is it an exposed server to the outside world?  Is it
managed by someone who wants to use rpms or other binary packages?  etc.
  The answers could be completely different between different senarios.

We were looking into (for exposed servers) OpenNA Linux which was based
off of RedHat 7.3 with the idea of making it like OpenBSD in security.
It had a really easy install (if you fit into one of their predefined
senarios) and came with GRSecurity patches and other things
preinstalled.  I don't know if I could wholeheartedly recommend it, but
others might want to look at it if it fits their needs.

sjm