[CS-FSLUG] Genesis 22:10

Wade A Smith warm38 at juno.com
Mon Jan 3 19:27:07 CST 2005

On Mon,  3 Jan 2005 14:46:14 -0800 (PST) Christiansource-request at ofb.biz
writes:
> From: Josiah Ritchie <jritchie at bible.edu>
> Subject: Re: [CS-FSLUG] Genesis 22:10
> To: cs-fslug <Christiansource at ofb.biz>
>
> On Mon, 2005-01-03 at 14:47 -0500, David M. wrote:
> > On Monday 03 January 2005 02:40 pm, Jukka wrote:
> > > I think God put there Abraham into a test (eg. would he obey God
> even
> > > when it means giving up most important things in his life) .
> >
> > This is what I thought, but I wasn't sure. I didn't recall reading
> anything
> > leading up to this plot, and it stuck out at me because of that.
> It was like
> > a suprise to me that Abraham was about to slay his son.
>
> There is also an element of faith. God promised things that required
> having a son. Would God destroy the vessel of the promise that they
> had
> already waited so long for?
>
> JSR/

Heb 11:17 By faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac: and he
that had
received the promises offered up his only begotten [son],
Heb 11:18 Of whom it was said, That in Isaac shall thy seed be called:
Heb 11:19 Accounting that God [was] able to raise [him] up, even from the
dead;
from whence also he received him in a figure.

I see Abraham mumbling to himself, "Offer up Issac?  Kill him?  I have a
moral
issue with that, but God is the one calling the shots, so I had better
obey Him.
But if kill Isaac, how is God going to fulfill His promise to me?  Well,
I guess
He plans on bringing Isaac back from the dead or something.  Wow!  What
a God!  Way COOL!"

OK, so I may be reading a little between the lines.  8-)

wade