[CS-FSLUG] The Moral Foundation of Free Software

Chris Brault groundhog3000 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 3 14:42:22 CST 2005

Now here is another interesting dilemma,

> Norbert, you "nailed" it down perfectly.....good!!
> MickySoft is called the "evil empire" because it IS
> just that!

To be honest, M$ is a comglamoration of people,
equiptment and software.  We could say that china is
an immoral autocracy.  In general it would be true,
but there are many, many Christians in China who are
not part of the system.  I suspect that it is the same
with M$. There are probably legions of people within
it's huge worldwide ranks who just want a paycheck and
frankly probably just don't know any better.
Seriously, they just want to survive and I can't find
fault in them for that.

So in truth, we don't like the M$ corporate heads,
their marketing strategies nor do we approve of their
methods to maintain and expand their monopoly.  Even
something with as favorable an image as walmart can
outgrow it's welcome and become an evil beast if the
corporate heads allow it (which I believe they have to
some extent).  That said, just like Chica, unless
there is a revolution within, we need to vote with our
wallets, speak out with our voices and get on the ball
creating software that will allow the migration
paths businesses need to get away from the M$ upgrade
tread mill.

> > The main obstacle to these wicked plans is the
> availablity and
> > (hopefully increasignly widespread) use of Free
> Software.  By
> > choosing a strategy of using Free Software
> whenever reasonably
> > possible, we will not only avoid contributing to
> financing
> > Microsoft's wicked empire, but we also make a
> positive contribution
> > to making sure that the Free Software alternative
> remains available.
>
> Quite, and almost daily, there's new software
> available that will remove all
> excuses before long.

What there is a lack of is specialized apps for
certain applications.  I mean, is there a _real_ open
source video editing app?  How about an open source
app for collecting and organizing telecom billing
information?  Anything for that?  Indeed, like I said,
untill there is a place to migrate to, there will be
no movement.

It's almost as if someone should organize a place
where these apps can be put so that the foss world can
see what is needed.  Doesn't sound like a bad idea.

Gabe