[CS-FSLUG] The Moral Foundation of Free Software

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Mon Jan 3 11:42:36 CST 2005

On Mon January 3 2005 7:37 am, Norbert Bollow wrote:
> Look at what Microsoft has been doing, and is still trying to do.
>
> Apparantly unlimited greed is driving them to try to achieve ever
> greater control of what people can do with computers.  A percentage
> of every dollar that someone pays to Microsoft goes to paying for
> the development and perfection of software systems that can and will
> be used to _control_ how the internet and computers in general can
> be used.  Anyone who cares about matters of privacy, political
> freedom or the _freedom_to_share_the_gospel_ should be able to see
> that the direction into which Microsoft is trying to take computer
> technology is wicked and dangerous.

Norbert, you "nailed" it down perfectly.....good!! MickySoft is called the
"evil empire" because it IS just that!

> The main obstacle to these wicked plans is the availablity and
> (hopefully increasignly widespread) use of Free Software.  By
> choosing a strategy of using Free Software whenever reasonably
> possible, we will not only avoid contributing to financing
> Microsoft's wicked empire, but we also make a positive contribution
> to making sure that the Free Software alternative remains available.

Quite, and almost daily, there's new software available that will remove all
excuses before long.

Fred

--
"As Internet technology itself vaults into new areas, so too does the
Microsoft monopoly and its tried-and-true bag of tricks."